E is for…
Design, query, and evaluate information retrieval systems.
- INFO 202: Information Retrieval System Design—Project One: Database Design
- INFO 202: Information Retrieval System Design—Project Three: Site Map
Statement of Competency
A satisfactory statement of competence –
- Addresses each of the three parts of the competency
- Demonstrates an awareness of design principles for information systems
- Demonstrates the ability to retrieve information from different kinds of information systems (such as bibliographic/full-text databases, web portals and search engines, OPACs, social media tools, etc.)
- Describes how the organization of an IR system affects the search strategies used.
- Demonstrates the ability to use different searching functions, strategies, and tactics for locating relevant information.
- Demonstrates the ability to evaluate multiple components of an information retrieval system, such as the organization system used (hierarchical, classification, controlled vocabulary, tagging, menus, etc.), the underlying collection of information, the usability of a website, or the findability of the information system.